Knowledge is power, as Sir Francis Bacon once said, and he was right. Nowadays, presenting results, analyzing statistics, and understanding user behavior are essential for improving your content and knowing how to communicate with your audience. Thanks to Genially's statistics section, you have the power to see how your audience interacts with your creations in detail.
Brilliant, isn't it?
In this tutorial, we’ll explain:
- What statistics can you obtain?
- Things to bear in mind about statistics
- How to collect statistics
- How to optimize your creation for collecting statistics
What statistics can you obtain?
You can obtain a wide variety of data to help you analyze how your content is performing. Among other things, in this section you'll see the number of times your audience interacts with the interactive elements, the most visited pages, and the average time spent consuming the content in your creations.
Let’s take a look at the different statistics that you can obtain on your geniallys:
A quick summary of the different stats
- VISITS: Number of times your creation has been viewed. A visit will be counted each time a person clicks on the URL/link of your creation to access it.
- INTERACTIONS: Counts every time your audience has interacted with any element of your creation by clicking and engaging with the content. Any click on an element that has Click or Hover animations applied to it will also be counted as an interaction.
NOTE: These statistics will be available if your creation is published, monitoring is activated, and your Genially plan is active.
A look at the stats in detail
DAILY VISITS: The visits received per day. Tip: hover your mouse over the graph to see the number of visits on a specific day.
VIEWS PER PAGE: Total number of times a person has viewed a page of your creation. It will be counted each time the page is turned; your audience does not need to interact with the elements it contains. You can hover your mouse over the data in the graph to see a thumbnail of the corresponding page.
INTERACTIONS: The number of times your audience has interacted by clicking on one of the elements in the genially that has interactivity applied to it. Any click on an element that has Click or Hover animation will also count as an interaction.
Things to bear in mind about statistics
There are a few things to take into account when gathering stats on a creation:
- Dates: Stats are grouped and displayed in the UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) time zone.
- Dates filter: When you access the statistics section, you'll see the historical data for the range between the genially's creation date and the current date. You'll have the option to filter specific date ranges that fall within the above-mentioned range.
- Texts: Interactivity applied to text-type elements cannot be named, but you will be able to identify these interactions in the statistics by the first word of the text in question.
- Interactive tooltips: In order to count the interactions that an element with an interactive tooltip receives, your audience will need to click on that element. Otherwise, it will not be counted in your statistics.
How to collect statistics
Now we’ll explain the steps to take to activate monitoring on a genially. To start gathering data:
- Your creation must be published.
- Monitoring must be activated on the genially. Remember: you also have the option to activate monitoring when publishing your creation.
- Go to your Panel.
- Click on the three dots, in the top right-hand corner of the thumbnail of the genially you want to monitor, and select the Statistics option.
- Then, simply activate the Monitor your genially option.
- All set! From this moment on, statistics will be collected for this creation.
IMPORTANT: You’ll need to activate this option individually in each of the creations for which you want to obtain statistics.
Great! Remember to share your creation with the world so that you can gather statistics.
How to optimize your creation for collecting statistics
Here are some tips to make it super easy to view and identify the statistics of your creations:
Name the pages of your creation
To know which pages of your creation are viewed by your audience, you will need to name each page. Bear in mind that this name will be what is displayed in the statistics, so make sure it’s easily recognizable and provides information about that specific page.
To name the pages you need to follow these steps:
1. Click on the page you want to name.
2. Select the text underneath the page and delete it.
3. Type the new name for that page, and voila!
TIP: From the statistics page, you can preview the genially or even enter the Editor if you need to rename your pages. Hover over the thumbnail at the top of the page and click on the pencil icon to edit the genially, or on the preview icon.
Name the different interactions in your creation
Any element with any kind of interactivity applied can be monitored. Giving the interaction of each element a name will be very useful for identifying them super quickly in the statistics section.
To assign a name to an interaction:
1. Click on the element and click on the interactivity icon.
2. Apply the interactivity of your choice (Go to Page, Link, Window, Tooltip, etc…).
3. Type the name you want to give to the element in the text box at the top of the interactivity window. (Max. 15 characters)
4. Press Save.
NOTE: If you haven’t assigned a name to the interactivity of a particular element, don’t panic. You’ll still see the interactions it’s received and it will appear under a generic name in the statistics graph. For this reason, we recommend naming any element you’ll need to be able to identify quickly with an informative name specific to each one.