Videos bring your content to life and engage your audience more than any other format. With Genially, you can insert videos so that your audience can view them within the genially itself, without having to go to another platform or website. In this tutorial, we explain how to insert videos in your genially, whether they’re from Youtube, Vimeo, or any other platform.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- How to insert a video on the canvas
- How do I find the URL or code of my video?
- Things to bear in mind
- Configuration options for your videos in Genially
- How to insert a video in an interactive window
How to insert a video on the canvas
To insert a video on the canvas of a genially:
1. On your favorite platform, search for the video you want to insert.
2. Copy the URL or the code to insert the video. Later in the tutorial we’ll explain how to find the URL on the most common video platforms.
3. In the Genially Editor, paste the URL or code in the tab Insert > Video.
4. When you insert it, a sidebar will appear on the right of the screen with the configuration options, as seen below:
5. All set! You have inserted a video in your genially.
How do I find the URL or code of my video?
Below we will show you where to find it on the 2 most popular video platforms: YouTube and Vimeo.
Things to bear in mind
1. The options for configuring your video once you have inserted it in Genially are only available if the videos are from either Youtube or Vimeo. If the video came from another platform, for example DailyMotion, it’s not possible to configure it after inserting it in your genially. However, some platforms allow you to configure certain settings of the videos before creating the code for inserting them.
2. It is not possible to insert a video that is stored on your device. It needs to be stored first on an online platform to be able to insert it in your genially. In this tutorial we show you how to do this using Google Drive.
Configuration options for your videos in Genially
You can change the size of the video or drag it to any part of the canvas you want, the same as you would with any other element. Videos also have the following configuration options:
- Replace: you can replace your video with any other video from the same platform.
- Autoplay: this option is deactivated by default. If you activate it, the inserted video will start playing automatically when the page where it is located appears on screen.
- Loop: also deactivated by default. If you activate it, the video will play on loop until you leave the page.
- Mute: deactivated by default. This option allows you to choose if you want the audio of the video to be heard or not.
Currently, browsers do not allow audio to be played automatically, so it won’t be heard until the person viewing the video clicks on the speaker icon to enable audio.
- Hide playback bar: deactivated by default. If you activate it, the video controls, such as pause, volume, or full screen, etc., will disappear.
- Start playing from: you can specify the exact second you want the video to start playing from, when you don’t need the whole video to play.
How to insert a video in an interactive window
Do you want your audience to see the video when they click on an element in your creation?
With Genially you can add interactivity to any element, so that when your audience clicks on it, a window opens and displays the video inside your creation. This allows you to add complementary information to your creation and lets your audience see it without interrupting their video viewing.
To integrate a video in a window, you need to:
1. Search your favorite platform for the video you want to insert.
2. Copy the URL or code to insert the video.
3. In Genially, select the element you want to work to function as a button and click the interactivity icon that appears above it.
4. Select ‘Window’.
5. Click on the option ‘Insert video’ represented by the video camera icon. You’ll see that 2 small icons appear, which give you the 2 options: ‘By URL’ or ‘Embedded code’.
6. Paste the URL or code depending on the option you’ve selected.
7. Within the same window where you have inserted the video, you can insert other content; for example some text to comment on or introduce the video.