With Genially you can insert PDFs in your creations so that they can be viewed within the genially itself. That way your audience won’t need to open the PDF in a new window or download the file, which is very important for keeping their attention!
There are 2 ways to display a PDF in your creation: so that it is shown on one of the pages, or so that it is shown in an interactive window. In this tutorial we’ll show you step by step how to obtain your PDF’s code and how to use it to insert the PDF on a page or in an interactive window, whichever you prefer. We’ll look at:
- Before you start
- How to copy the code of a PDF stored in Google Drive
- How to insert a PDF on the canvas
- How to insert a PDF in a window
Before you start
To insert a PDF in Genially, it needs to be stored in Google Drive, so that’s the first thing you need to do: save the PDF you want to use in your creation to your Drive. Then, you’ll need to copy the code of the file in Google Drive and paste it in Genially. We’ll explain that process now.
How to copy the code of a PDF stored in Google Drive
1. Log in to Google Drive.
2. Right-click on the PDF that you want to display in your genially and choose the 'Share' option.
3. In the window that appears, go to Get link and select 'Change'.
4. Some options will appear so you can choose who you want to share your file with. Select the option 'Anyone with the link'.
5. Save changes.
6. Right-click on the PDF and click 'Preview'.
7. On the page that opens, click on the menu icon (the 3 dots) in the top right-hand corner and select 'Open in a new window'.
8. In the new window that opens, click on the 3 dots again.
9. Choose the option 'Embed item...'.
10. Copy the code that appears. All set!
How to insert a PDF so it displays on a page of your genially
The advantage of inserting a PDF on a page of your genially is that it’s a much more convenient way to share your content in this format. Your audience can view the PDF without leaving your genially, without having to open a new window, and without you having to send it as an attachment. You’ll save lots of time and effort when you want to show reports or information in this format.
To insert a PDF directly onto the canvas of your genially:
1. Copy the code of the PDF in Google Drive as we saw in the above section, go to the Editor in Genially, open the 'Insert' section and paste the code in the space that appears. Save it by clicking on the 'Insert' button.
2. Resize the PDF to adjust it to the size you want. You can do this the same way as you would any other element; click and hold on any of its corners and drag in any direction, as seen below.
You can also use 'Designer mode' to give the PDF the exact dimensions you want.
How to insert a PDF in a window
If you prefer, you can insert the PDF in a window so it’s only displayed when you click on an interactive element. To do this:
1. Select the element you want to make interactive and click on the interactivity icon.
2. Select the 'Window' option.
3. In the upper toolbar, select the 'Code view' section, represented by the </> symbol.
4. Paste the code of the PDF that you got from Google Drive.
5. Save the changes.
TIP: You can try out the button and see how it works by clicking 'Preview'.