The background is a very important part of your genially. Maybe you haven’t really noticed, but changing the background of your creation can give it a completely different look.
Do you know the difference between the canvas backgrounds and the base backgrounds of a genially? If not, it’s time to find out! In this tutorial you’ll learn:
- What canvas backgrounds and base backgrounds are
- How to choose a background
What are canvas backgrounds and base backgrounds?
One of the interesting effects you can use in your creations is to play with two different types of backgrounds.
To differentiate between the canvas and base backgrounds, you need to know the difference between the two areas covered by each one in the Editor.
- The canvas is marked out by a light gray rectangle
- The base is the space that surrounds this rectangle.
You can place different backgrounds on the canvas and the base, bearing in mind that:
- The canvas background can be the same or different on each page.
- The base background is the same for all pages, and it’s not possible to apply different base backgrounds on each page.
- You can define the dimensions of the canvas, but not the base. The base background will be more or less visible depending on the dimensions and resolution of the screen on which the genially is being used. It can help to improve the viewing experience on different devices.
To see clearly which area corresponds to which type of background, take a look at the following image :
- The base background is the navy one.
- The canvas background is the white part in the center.
How to choose a background
When you click on Background in the left sidebar, you’ll see the tabs to choose between canvas background or base background.
To apply a canvas background
1. In the Background section, click on the 'Canvas' tab.
2. Choose one of the background options from those that appear:
- No background (transparent background)
- Upload an image from your computer
- Upload an image from a URL
- Choose a background color
- Choose an image from the Genially gallery. Click on 'See more' and you’ll see all the backgrounds in the gallery for you to choose from. You’ll also see the option to apply a search filter.
- Choose an image from the Pixabay gallery. Click on 'See more' and all the options of this gallery will be displayed. You can also filter your search by typing related keywords in the search box that appears at the top.
- Choose an image from 'My backgrounds', if you’ve previously uploaded your backgrounds in the 'My brand' section (Master or Team plans only).
3. Select the background you want by clicking on it and it will automatically be applied to the canvas.
4. You can also apply the background you have chosen to all the pages of your genially automatically by clicking on the button at the bottom that reads 'Apply to all pages'.