Text is a crucial element of any creation. No matter how expressive the images or visual content you add to your genially, you’ll need some text to communicate your message.
In this tutorial we’ll show you all the ways of inserting and editing text that you have available to you in Genially:
- How to insert a text
- How to edit the font, color, and size of the letters
- Other editing options
- How to insert and edit a text set
How to insert a text
1. Click on 'Text' in the left sidebar. You’ll see different text boxes of different formats and text sets that you can add to your genially.
2. Select the one you want to use by clicking on it and it will appear on your canvas.
3. Write the text you want. You can also place the text box wherever you like by simply dragging it around the canvas.
How to edit the font, color, and size of the letters
Text boxes are completely editable. You can personalize the font, color, and size of the letters by following these steps:
1. Select the text box you want to edit. The text editing options will appear in the upper toolbar, just above the canvas.
2. Access the typography selector by clicking on the name of the font to see the list of available fonts.
3. To change the color of the text, open the color selector which is to the left of the fonts. You can choose the color you like best from the options that appear, or enter the HEX (hexadecimal) code of the color you want to use.
4. To the right of the font, you’ll see a number, which represents the size of the text in pixels. You can change this by entering a number or choosing from the dropdown list.
TIP: If you have a Master or Team plan, you can add your brand’s fonts and colors so you always have them to hand. It saves lots of time! In this tutorial we explain in detail how to add your brand’s elements.
Other editing options
As well as editing your text’s font, color, and size, there are lots of other text editing options in the upper toolbar of your Panel. When you hover your mouse over each icon, a legend will appear with the name of the option.
- Transparency: slide the selector from 100 to 0 and see how the transparency of the text varies.
- Bold, Italics, Underline, and Highlight color: to highlight the text you want to emphasize.
- Uppercase: to capitalize all the letters of your text. If you click this option again, all the text will return to its original format.
- Shadow: to add a shaded outline to the letters of your text box.
- Paragraph: to change the alignment of the text to left, right, center, or justified.
- List: to create a numbered or bulleted list.
- Line height: to increase or decrease the space between lines. You can do this by clicking on the plus and minus icons or by entering the number you want.
- Paragraph spacing: This is the space that appears when you press Enter on your keyboard to create a new line. You can edit it to make it bigger or smaller according to your preferences.
- Letter spacing: to increase or decrease the space between letters. You can do this by clicking on the plus and minus icons or by entering the number you want.
- Delete formatting: to get rid of all the formats applied to the text box.
NOTE: You can get even more out of your texts. Try bringing them to life by animating them! See this tutorial.
How to insert and edit a text set
Within the Text section, you’ll find a series of text sets, which are designs created by grouping various text boxes of different formats. These are designed to speed up your creative process. See one you like?
1. Open the 'Text' section.
2. Click on the text set you’d like to use, or drag and drop it onto the canvas.
3. Now click on the text box to modify it and write what you want it to say. These sets are also 100% editable, meaning you can personalize them by changing the color, size of the letters, or the font, to suit your needs.
NOTE: When you copy text (whether from outside or inside of Genially) and paste it inside a text box, the formats that the text box has will be applied to the text.